Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thank God for technology


I have to pay homage to the best tool I've ever had for tracking fever in my sick kiddos. It's the Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer. I first saw it at my doctor's office a year or two ago. You just slide it across your child's forehead and in an instant it gives you a temperature that's as exact as a rectal temp. If you don't have one, I highly recommend it. It makes it sooo much easier and I feel like I'm getting an accurate temp. It's great especially at night whey they're sleeping because you can do it without disturbing them at all. I used to have an ear one, but I would always wind up taking the temp like 5 or 6 times because it could come back different every time depending on how you held it in their ear.

I got mine at Wal-mart, but I saw them at Sam's the other day too. Yesterday I lost it for about 30 minutes. I was freaking out. I didn't know what I was going to do. I really needed to take Logan's temp, so I got out an old fashioned digital thermometer and made him hold it under his tongue. He didn't know what the heck I was doing to him. He didn't like it at all of course. It measured his temp at 104.2. A few minutes later I found my Exergen and it registered over 105. I just wanted to let everyone know what a great tool this is and how it's worth every penny! (about $30) The only improvement they could make would be giving it a light up screen so you can read it in the dark. But still, it's awesome.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I need to get one of those. Thanks for telling us about it!

erica said...

Yes! I have one of these too. I am a firm believer in the accuracy of rectal temps for little ones. So, when I first got this thermometer Mindy's talking about, I always took a rectal temp too. The forehead one is every bit as accurate.

Jennifer said...

Sounds perfect- I am sold too.