Wednesday, November 7, 2007

It's deceptive, but is it delicious?

Yes, so far I've been extremely pleased with the recipes I've tried from my Deceptively Delicious cookbook. Let me start by saying that my oldest child, Logan, is the poster-child for picky eaters. So I knew that if I could fool him and he'd eat it, it was definitely a winner. On Monday I made the pancakes with sweet potato puree. They were delicious. Ellie (who already likes pancakes) ate 2. Logan doesn't like them to begin with and therefore wouldn't try them. I didn't expect that he would try them anyway. Stuart liked them most of all and eats them by themselves with no butter or syrup. He says they remind him of some bread they have in India. Anyway, I considered it a great success. By the way, I used canned sweet potato. You can buy just plain mashed sweet potato with nothing else added. Kind of like pumpkin. Monday night I made the chicken nuggets with broccoli puree and the macaroni and cheese with cauliflower. Let me preface this by saying that I didn't have a food processor at the time, so I used my blender. It didn't work as well as I would have liked. The broccoli puree was a little too thick I think. Here's a tip I've found in my whole 3 days of puree making- You need to add quite a bit of water to get the right consistency. So after I cooked the nuggets you could see some green under the breading. I knew this wouldn't fly, so I made a few without the broccoli. They're still healthier that way because the breading has flax seed meal in it. Logan of course wouldn't eat the green ones, but he really liked the plain ones. I'm going to try them again with a different puree, maybe butternut squash- that way it'll be easier to camouflage. The mac and cheese with cauliflower was a HUGE success though. Logan LOVED it! He had some again last night. I want to try that one with the butternut squash too.
Last night I made a recipe from my Kraft cookbook (Quick-fix Beef Burrito Skillet) but decided to add some carrot puree to it as well. It was great. You couldn't taste it at all. The only problem was, you could see it a little bit. I was very unhappy with my blender purees. So today I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new food processor. It's basically a knock-off of the Magic Bullet, but I love it. I made butternut squash and broccoli purees today and it was awesome. It's a Sunbeam Heritage Series and was only $30, vs. $55 for the Magic Bullet. One other hint for moms- Most of your kids are littler, but don't let them see you put the purees in. Logan saw me put the carrots in last night and instantly decided he wasn't going to like it. Maybe by the time your kids are as big as Logan they'll be used to it and won't freak, but just in case you may want to keep it on the DL.
I can't wait to try some of the desserts. I think I'm going to try and make the brownies next. I'm excited about this. Not only for the kids, but for us too. I eat lots of fruits and veggies already, but there's nothing wrong with adding a few more here and there. Here's to healthier eating and less whining!

4 comments:

erica said...

Yea Mindy! Oprah would be proud. Your purees look beautiful. I can't wait to make some of my own.

Lisa said...

That's awesome! I need to get a food processor and steamer and the book. You have inspired me!

Shannan Riemer said...

How exciting. I have been wanting to get that book just to check out the recipies.
You ARE a Oprah junkie! Love her!

Jennifer said...

Well, Charlize loves her veggies, but those recipes sound like fun to try anyway!