Friday, May 9, 2008

1st grade Field Trip

On Thursday, Logan's class (plus 2 others) had their 1st grade field trip. It was to the Wild Basin Preserve in Austin. I didn't even know this place existed. It's very rugged and not commercial at all. They gave several groups of us guided tours around the basin telling us all about the different plants, trees and wildlife that live around there. I was in charge of Logan and another boy. There are 18 kids in Logan's class and there were 10 parents who came along, so that was nice. It really is a beautiful place if you and your family ever feel like taking a little hike. The trails are very rough (no strollers) and several of the kids fell down. Fortunately no one was really hurt. It was pretty hot yesterday, but in the shade, not bad. There was even a really beautiful waterfall there. If you look closely at the picture ( top) you can see it in the back to the right.


After the wild basin, we went to Zilker Park for lunch. This was also fun. We ate our lunches then the kids played for about an hour on the big playground. It was a little nerve wracking being in charge of these 2 kids who ran from place to place in the sea of other kids. So I was constantly searching both of them out to make sure I knew where they were. Also, I forgot to get my camera out of the car at lunch, so no pics!! Sorry!
Overall it was a good experience. I feel like I learned a lot. Some about the basin, but mostly about myself. Logan's teacher wasn't with our group and the tour guide was a little too nice, so when I felt like the kids were taking advantage of him or not acting the way they should I found myself taking charge. That sounds really dumb, like I'm trying to brag. On the contrary, I worried that the other parents might think I was some kind of know it all or something. It's just that no one was saying what needed to be said, like "don't go ahead of the guide" and "OK, everyone it's time to go", just stuff like that. I wasn't being all bossy or anything. I just wanted to help corral the crazy kids (my kid usually being one of the craziest). Anyway, all that to say that I realized yesterday that I could be a teacher or sub or something if I wanted to. Before I didn't know for sure if I would be able to handle a bunch of kids with any kind of authority. There's nothing worse than a teacher who the kids know they can walk all over. I've thought about subbing when Ellie goes to kindergarten, so we'll see. I definitely feel much more confident about it now and that's good.
I wanted to say a special thanks to Erica for watching Ellie ALL DAY for me so that I could go with Logan. I was really thankful that I was able to share this experience with him. Thanks, sis!! I owe you one!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I think I see "teaching" in your future! Before working at Concordia I was teaching at a middle school in San Antonio and I must say I really did like it. Summer off. Spring break and Christmas break. It was pretty nice.

erica said...

Your very welcome. I'm glad you had fun and learned a little something about yourself, too.

Shannan Riemer said...

What a cool experience, I cant wait to go on field trips with Jacob. I think you would be a great teacher.