Thursday, February 28, 2008

Can't get enough of Barack!!

Today Erica and I were lucky enough to get to see Barack Obama again! Yesterday we found out they were having a town hall meeting at the convention center in Austin. They were giving out tickets at a few locations including the Clay Madsen Rec Center in Round Rock. Erica went ahead and got 2 tickets even though we weren't sure what we would do with the kids since they're not in school on Thursdays. Luckily our Mom was able to watch them.

There was quite a lot of traffic. The event was scheduled to start at 9:30 and we didn't make it into the convention center until about 9. Based on what the rally was like (30,000 people waiting for 3 hours) we weren't sure what to expect or even if we would get in. When we got there it wasn't crowded at all. There were plenty of places to sit and we even got to sit in the bleachers behind the podium. It was cool. He was right there in front of us, in plain view. At the rally I had to strain up on my tippy toes to get any kind of look at him at all.

It was great. It was a really different vibe than the rally. More laid back. I feel really privileged to have gotten the chance to see him both times. I found myself today not only envisioning him as president, but mourning for the fact that he would only be allowed to serve 2 terms. 8 short years just don't seem like enough. I know, I know- I'm getting ahead of myself a little. There is just something so calming and reassuring about him when he's speaking. He makes so much sense and you just find yourself saying, "Yes, this is what we need to help us change the world- someone like him."
This is what our view of him looked like!!! It was awesome! In case anyone gets to see the coverage on TV , Erica and I are sitting on the top row behind him in the far right corner (from the camera's viewpoint) 2 from the end of the row. We're both wearing white shirts. Our mom recorded it and we could see ourselves a couple of times (really small). Still cool though!!

1 comments:

Shannan Riemer said...

I wish I could have joined you guys! Man you are lucky!