Saturday, February 2, 2008

My babies are not babies anymore.


Today was a milestone in my life as a parent and in the life of my kids. Or at least 1 of my kids. Tonight for the first time Logan went by himself into the bathroom and took a shower!! (we've been practicing with him for the last 4-5 days to get him "trained" properly) For the last 6 1/2 years I have been bathing 1-2 children almost every night. I saw tonight as a turning point in both our lives. Most of me was happy, but a small part sees that this is the beginning of the end of my little boy and the start of a new part of our lives. I know it won't be too much longer when I'll actually be missing the little boy splashing in the bathtub, playing with toys and coloring on the bathtub walls, instead of getting mad at the big mess he makes and the time I have to spend cleaning it all up. I was so excited earlier when he went in there, but the more I think about it the more I have mixed emotions. It's exciting to think about all the new chapters of our lives that are unfolding. Logan starting kindergarten last year and being a big 1st grader this year has been great. It's really awesome to see their little minds growing and learning so much. Logan started reading last year, but his improvement this school year has been astounding. It's amazing the things they are capable of. So for things like that, growing up is good. It's just the little things about them being small that I'll miss. The cute way they talk and they funny things they say. They're sweet chubby cheeked little faces and fat leggies. The way they are unabashedly in love with you and you with them before they have learned to defy you and push your buttons. The way they need you for everything and look to you for your approval and unconditional love. Getting to hold them for more than a few seconds before they bolt out of your arms. Before you know it they'll be bolting out the front door to take on that big bad world all on their own, without us to help make sure they look both ways. We can only hope that we've done everything we can to prepare them for life and help them grow into good human beings. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but looking at my friends who are just starting on their journeys into parenthood has reminded me that it seems like just a moment ago that I was just like them with my big belly and wide eyes. And now my sweet baby is almost up to my shoulder. Before I know it we'll be looking eye to eye and then I'll be looking up at him instead of him at me. We all need to learn to take these moments to reflect and appreciate what it means to be a parent. And to realize that these days that may sometimes seem like God's idea of a cruel joke will be over in the blink of an eye, so we had better stop and take it all in while we can.

Baby Logan

Baby Ellie

Just look how big they are today!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, that's so sweet! You brought tears to my eyes. Our babies do grow up so fast. The pictures of the kids are adorable. It seems like just yesterday you were wobbling around DFS. :)

erica said...

I was doing fine until I saw the little picture of Logan in front of the entertainment center. I burst into tears. It does seem like only yesterday.

Jennifer said...

Ah Mindy, your posts always get me! It was nice seeing you guys at the party.