Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What else can break?

The last year has been tough as far as repairs go. It all started last January 07. Our fridge broke. It took a few days to get the part in, so by the time we got it fixed it didn't work at all and we were reduced to ice chests. Humbling. You don't realize how much we depend on all our modern conveniences until they're not there anymore. Then in Aug. we were on our way back from a weekend vacation in San Antonio (stopping by Cabela's in Buda) when the fuel pump on our Suburban decided to go out. What a strange feeling it is to be stranded somewhere like that. It immediately makes you feel like you're homeless or something. There we were in the parking lot of Cabelas with our kids and a car full of suitcases waiting on a tow truck and Erica to come and pick us up. It was terrible. I kept telling the kids not to worry that everything would be ok, because I think it's a kind of scary thing myself. I didn't want them to think we were never going to get to go home or something. Then not long after that our fridge started acting up again. I couldn't believe it. It cost us over $400 to get it fixed the first time. I just wanted to forget it and buy a new one, but we decided to call a repair man first. He told us that it was the same problem as before and that if he had been the one to come the first time he never would have fixed it at all. Live and learn. There's nothing like having to purchase a major appliance with little time to decide because all the stuff in your dying fridge is rotting as you search. So we got a new fridge. Then in December we had our washer die, which I've already told you all about. I still kind of consider that a blessing in disguise since I'm so in love with the new washer and it's making my life a little easier. Also in December we took Stu's car in to have some work done that we knew needed to be done. Then we had to take it in again yesterday for an un-related repair. Now my suburban is acting up. The Service Engine Soon light came on a few weeks ago for a couple of days, then went off. It came on again on Sunday. My A/C wasn't cooling as well lately and I had noticed a slightly rough idle so we were going to add some coolant and maybe do new spark plugs and some injector cleaner. My dad was already planning on coming up tomorrow to work on it when what should happen today? I was on my way to meet Erica when I stopped by Logan's school to drop off a jacket. I came back out and the car wouldn't start. OMG!! I couldn't believe it. The school is like a block from my house and I couldn't believe that I was going to have to get a tow for that short of a distance. Luckily it started finally, so I went straight home. That was about 1/2 an hour ago. I'm just tired of stuff breaking! I know that's kind of a chance we take by driving older cars (99 and 98) but it's sooo nice not having any car payments. Even with all the repairs we've had lately the cost comparison doesn't even come close. The breakage streak has to end soon. How many more things do we have that could break, right? I know, I'm biting my tongue and knocking wood right now!! Aaaarrgghhh!!! I shouldn't complain so much. At least I have all this stuff to break. I could have nothing- not enough to eat or clothes for my babies. I have to remind myself sometimes to be grateful to God for this life I have. Still, it would be nice if I could go for just a little while without any unexpected major expenses.

0 comments: