Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Obama Bandwagon

Toot toot... here comes the Obama Express. Are you jumping on? I am. Yes, I am a proud supporter of Barack Obama, much to my surprise. Many of you may be thinking (as Stuart did) that this is solely due to my sister, Erica and her zeal for him. I'll admit her enthusiasm was quite contagious. But this alone did not change my mind. More than anything it made me curious. What was it about Obama that got her and so many others so excited? She was never a big political person at all. Now she's volunteering and watching every debate, reading, searching websites for any information she can get her hands on. I really didn't have an interest in anyone before, and didn't consider myself a Republican or Democrat ( I don't think you should have to choose). I think you should support the person who you think will do the best job regardless of party affiliation. If I had been forced to choose before though, I would have said I was more Republican than Democrat. This is mainly based on my upbringing and more conservative values. I voted for Bush both times. Both times however it wasn't that I was excited by Bush or anything he had to say, it seemed at the time that he was the lesser of 2 evils. (Looking back I may have been wrong about that.)
At first when I decided to vote in the primary for Obama it was mainly just so Hillary wouldn't get the nomination. My disdain for this woman and her husband runs deep and I didn't want her to be the first woman president. Now that I have become more interested and informed I am very excited by the possibilities that Obama has laid before us. He does seem like he could help us to change Washington and isn't that what we all need and want (Republican and Democrat alike?) Everyone will admit that things in Washington are not working. Maybe breathing some new life into the situation will help. Just seeing the nation come alive with support and enthusiasm for this man (more than any other presidential candidate in my memory) leads me to believe that big things are possible and that it's not a lost cause as I feared before. It still seems weird to me to be supporting a Democrat, but he is the one candidate that has managed to move me. And I'm not alone. Join in, find out for yourself just what he's about and what he can do for our country.


Erica and I went to the rally downtown last night. It was great! Seeing him and hearing him speak made standing in a huge crowd of people for 3 hours seem not bad at all. He gave a wonderful speech (as I expected). I agreed wholeheartedly with everything he said. There is something about him that is getting people's attention. People who aren't normally so interested in things like this (including me). That, I find fascinating and it gives me hope. Hope in a time when there's mostly cynicism. We could all use a little hope, right? If your answer is yes, then Vote Obama!!!

3 comments:

Shannan Riemer said...

OBAMA MAMAS UNITE!
I could copy and paste your blog and post it as my own. Last year, Chris and I were part of the 20k Austinites in attendance to see what is special about Obama. I came in with an open mind and left with the thought that he was exactly what this country needed. I am glad to see that you are on the wagon!

Lisa said...

Awesome pictures! I sure wish I could have gone with you guys!

erica said...

Yes We Can! Win Texas! Win Ohio! Win in November!