Friday, October 2, 2009

Poor sick boy!

My Logan is home sick. He came home from school Wednesday not feeling well. He told me he was coughing all day. It wasn't until I went over and felt his head that I really thought anything was wrong. Fever, sore throat, coughing... uh, oh. I thought for sure we had the flu. I called the doctor and made an appt. for Thursday morning.


We went and had a flu test and a strep test. Poor Logan had to have his throat and his nose swabbed deeply for these. They were both negative. Which means he has a virus. Viruses are a pain. There's nothing you can do but keep the fluids up and the fever down.

We went home and by the afternoon his fever was up to 103.6. That's high, but not too high. Logan has a history of very high fevers. He's had 105 more times than I can count. His doctor says that some people seem to have a tendency to get higher temperatures. It's still scary though. Their skin feels so hot, like it could actually burn you. We haven't been there with this illness though (thank goodness).

I've been battling myself on the giving medicine thing. When I give him Motrin, it makes him feel too good. He starts running around the house again and not resting. I keep telling him, I know you feel OK, but you're still sick. When I don't give him medicine, he's miserable and the fever goes crazy. So my compromise has been Tylenol. It's not nearly as effective as Motrin so it helps the fever stay down, but doesn't give the false sense of being "better", so he's not acting like his usual active self. I never thought I'd say it, but Yay Tylenol!
Jack's keeping him company!

We'll see how today goes. He's still having fever, but it's staying at a reasonable level. So far Ellie's fine. She's the healthiest kid. She's never had antibiotics before. Ever. She's hardly had a fever for more than 1 day. I don't know why. Poor Logan seems to have gotten the short end of the stick on this one!

1 comments:

erica said...

I hope Logan gets better soon. Jack looks like he's doing a great job nursing Logan back to health.