Saturday, November 21, 2009

Our new family rules

The other day at Ellie's Daisy meeting the co-leader was talking to the girls asking them what they thought would be some good rules for our troop. The girls were saying things like, be nice, don't talk when others are talking, etc. The leader said she had just 2 rules in her house and that was all they needed. She asked her 5 year old daughter what they were. And she knew...

Rule 1- Be Kind.
Rule 2- Do what's right.

As she explained them, I thought that those were brilliant!! They encompass everything.

A while back after watching Super Nanny, I put up a list of family rules on a poster board on the pantry door. It had a lot of rules, probably 8. Too many, too hard to remember and read for little ones.

My new rules are simple and easy to remember. I've been saying them all the time. Whenever the kids are fighting or something I ask, "Are you being kind, and are you doing what's right?" Simple straight forward. No wiggle room. Either you are, or you aren't. Brilliant!

I was so glad to have learned this idea and I wanted to share it with all of you in case, like me, you need a little extra help in your house. And honestly let's face it, who doesn't? Love it!!!

3 comments:

Shannan Riemer said...

I love that your kids are older, I can learn so much from you!
The rules are perfect.

erica said...

This would also make a good t-shirt.

Jennifer said...

Awesome. Thank you Mindy!