Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cub scout camp out

This weekend we all (Ellie and I included) went on a cub scout camp out with Logan's cub scout pack. For those of you unfamiliar with cub scouts the pack includes all the dens. The dens are for each grade. Some grades have 2 dens depending on how many scouts there are. Anyway, there were quite a few people there. (The pic above is just a few of the scouts- mostly Bears, which is what Logan is this year.)


We went to Ink's lake state park. Ink's lake is located just south of Lake Buchanan and is much smaller. I had heard good things about it and that it was very beautiful. It really was. It reminded me a lot of Canyon Lake where I grew up, except for all the huge outcroppings of pink rock. To the untrained eye this may appear to be granite (an igneous rock), however most of it is not. It's actually gneiss (pronounced "nice") which is a sedimentary rock. This basically just means that they were formed in entirely different ways. (I was a geology minor).





I must admit going there and seeing all of the beautiful rock formations made me long for the days at UT when we would go on field trips to look at rock outcroppings. It also made me realize just how much I had forgotten about it all. Thank goodness for the naturalist there to guide us on our tour.
They even had a little playground there right across from our camp site. Ellie's recently learned to "pump" herself on the swings. It's awesome. I have to admit that I hated pushing them on the swings and them learning to do it themselves has been fantastic!
For dinner we had BBQ. One of the cub scout's Dad is a BBQ caterer. He has a huge smoker on a trailer and made us quite a feast. It was delicious. We had a campfire around which the kids took turns telling jokes and doing little skits. Then we went back to our campsite and roasted marshmallows.



We had a great time and the weather was awesome. I have but one complaint. Next time I go camping I must have an air mattress or something. I have never been so uncomfortable in my life. I did very little sleeping as my sleeping bag was basically on top of a big rock!! Rookie mistake, I know. We actually got to bed pretty early. We were all asleep at about 8:30. The kids must have been pooped because they just laid right down and fell asleep. Thank goodness. You just don't realize how quiet it is outside and how much you can hear when people are talking in the next tent over. I would do it again. We will probably go again in the spring. Not sure where, but I recommend Ink's Lake to anyone. Even just for the day.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

We love Ink's Lake too! I'm so glad ya'll had fun. Great pictures!

erica said...

Yes, very nice. Did you have to pee in the woods?

Mindy said...

yes, of course. Only a little got on my foot!

Jennifer said...

How fun!! I love camping stuff.