Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Frank


This is my dog Frank (Blaine Franklin Smith-we have a strange sense of humor, I know)! We've had him almost 12 years now. He was the sweetest puppy and has always been a nice dog. He has issues though. His main one is smell! He smells awful- all the time. Even a few days after a bath. Also, he drools. He's had some health problems. The last thing was a systemic yeast infection about 2 years ago. He was so itchy that he had scratched himself raw. It was awful! I took him to the vet and $300 later, he wasn't really better. I researched online and found some info and products to help him. We had to switch him to a really expensive food that I have to drive to Far West to buy. At least he's not scratching anymore.

He's had a hard time getting around for a while now. He can't get up off our tile floors sometimes. :-( I've been putting off taking him to the vet since I was worried about the cost. I was also worried we might have to put him down. I used to have a vet I loved, but he had a heart attack several years ago and I haven't found one I liked since.
Well, a few days ago Franks eye just started rolling back in his head like it wasn't attached anymore or something. Yuck, I know. So we decided that he needed to go to the vet. I was telling my mom about it and she said, why don't you bring him to Taylor? She said there was a vet there that everyone loved. So I said what the heck and I looked it up online. His name is Dr. Graef. They don't take appts. so this morning I loaded him up in the back of the pilot and off we went. I walked in, gave them my info and waited about 30 min. He looked at Frank, checked his joints and was so nice. He gave him a shot and gave me some pills to help with his arthritis. He looked at his eye and gave me some drops for it. Apparently sometimes it stays that way though. :-( He told me that if he wasn't doing better to bring him back in. And they cut his enormous nails.
I paid him $60 for all of it! It was amazing. All of you should take your pets there! I will NEVER go anywhere else again. Dr. Graef is kind of old though and I'm already worried about what will happen when he retires or God forbid that he dies. Good vets are hard to come by!

4 comments:

Shannan Riemer said...

So True, I have never walked out of the vet without paying atleast $100.

Lisa said...

We finally found a country vet that we love too. He's cheap and so great! It's worth driving to the country for a good vet!

Jennifer said...

Frank is a cutie Mindy. My daycare provider uses that same vet- I have only heard GREAT things.

erica said...

I'm setting Chloe up for a visit!