Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Pfreaks on Vacation

Last week was our summer vacation. We went to South Padre Island on Monday and came home Friday. It's fun and beautiful, but a really long drive. Especially with 2 kids. They did awesome on the drive down, no whining, crying or fighting the whole 7 hours!! The DVD player and other hand held electronics we took were a huge help with that. Unfortunately the drive back didn't go quite so smoothly. By then they were tired and a little sleep deprived so they were crankier and after about 5 hours, I wanted to cry myself! But, we all survived. And we have some great memories and pictures to show for it!!



Here are the kids in the car on the way. Logan is listening to his play list that Stuart made him on my Dell DJ (things like Bohemian Rhapsody, the theme from Superman and Rocky, Upside you turn me, etc.). I looked back at him and thought he looked like a teenager already!! Ellie's coloring a picture.

We went to the zoo in Brownsville one morning. It's a really nice zoo with a great gorilla exhibit. The kids had fun. They love zoos like we do. I think this is the 7th zoo they've been to. (Albuquerque, Austin, Fort Worth, SA, Houston, Brownsville and Waco.) That's actually a little lie, Ellie's never been to the Albuquerque zoo since Susan moved
before she was born. I digress...
I made the mistake of feeding the sea gulls on the beach. They are NOT shy. It doesn't look as close in the picture as it felt, but they would fly right up to your face and just hover there until you gave them something. I couldn't help but think of Finding Nemo when the Pelicans called all the gulls, "rats with wings". That's what I kept saying to myself the whole time. (The picture above is not cropped or zoomed in any way. They were right there in my face!)

We had a great time, but were glad to be home. I'm not sure if we'll go down there again any time soon. It's fun, but all there is to do there is go to the beach. I guess we're not "beach people". We can't just go to the beach all day everyday. In fact the last day the kids didn't want to go to the beach again, just the pool! I was actually disappointed that I wasn't going to get to go again. I kept saying to them "We can go to the pool all summer, this is the last time we'll get to go to the beach!!" They didn't care. They just wanted to go to the pool and the hot tub. They loved the hot tub. It was about 15 ft X 8 ft, so there was always plenty of room. So we'll see what next year brings!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a great vacation- great pics! Glad you guys had a great time. I love the Brownsville zoo.

Nicole said...

Glad you guys had a good time!

Shannan Riemer said...

Looks like fun, I miss the beach!
I love the pictures!