Thursday, August 27, 2009

My first Kiva Loan


My lovely sister, Erica has been loaning through Kiva for a while now. Kiva is a program that allows you to help fund loans to entrepreneurs in third world countries who are trying to lift themsleves out of poverty. I always thought it sounded like a wonderful way to help people help themselves. She gave me a gift certificate to Kiva a while ago and I've finally used it to make my first loan! I made my loan to a lady named Djide Cisse in Senegal. She sells peanuts!
I know most of us don't have tons of extra cash right now, but all of us could cut out just 1 meal eaten at a fast food restaurant a month, for example, and use that $20 to help someone to support themselves and their families. We always see the unbelievable poverty in the world and think, "it's so far away, what can I do?". This is what you can do. It couldn't get any easier.

I feel better already. :-)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

That's awesome Mindy! I'll have to check it out!

erica said...

Yea Mindy! I love Kiva, I'm glad you do too.

scoop said...

I love it too...thanks Erica. I did my loan for a woman in Palestine who has a daycare center.

The Clarks said...

That is great. Kiva Rocks. Keep those loans coming. -Bill

Jennifer said...

Awesome Mindy!!