Monday, August 25, 2008

Our last hurrah before school

This was Logan's last weekend of "summer". School starts tomorrow for him. It seems like it's been a long time since he was in school and at the same time I can't believe this day is here. Maybe it's just because I've been dreaming of it all summer! (hahaha) I know that as much as I want him back in school because he's driving me crazy all summer, that I will also miss these carefree days in no time. Especially since I'll be working 5 days a week now too. I'm sure things will be so busy that I'll be saying to myself, remember how nice it was not to have to do anything all day. We'll see.


This picture of Ellie shows my true feelings about school starting again! Woohoo!

Friday, Stuart decided to take the day off so we went to the SA Zoo. We have a season pass, so we like to go as often as we can. We also like the train ride they have outside the zoo. It's a nice long trip with pretty scenery. If you're ever there, I think it's worth the ticket price. (It was $10 for the 4 of us).

I think we stayed at the zoo a little too long this time and were waiting to eat lunch somewhere else, so by the time we left things were a little hairy. The kids were both breaking down crying and whining, yuck! Right after we left we got stuck in a traffic jam too. Thank goodness for goldfish in the car or things might have gotten ugly!

Now that I look at it, we did a lot of posing by statues this time. Oh well, whatever it takes to get them to smile in a picture, right?

After we got thru the traffic jam, which by the way, turned out to be some ridiculous construction (I couldn't even tell what they were supposed to be doing?) that made the lanes go from 3 to 1 on a Friday afternoon( I digress), we ate and headed back to Austin. While we were driving we decided to stop in at Cabellas and let the kids look at all the animals.


The kids love it there, so it was a welcome stop to help wait out the rain.




For those of you who've been to Cabellas you'll be familiar with the "robotic" man in the room with all the deer. You push a button and he starts talking. He's eerily real looking. You can see him in the pictures above behind Logan and Ellie. I'll never forget the first time we went there. We were with Erica and her kids. Logan pushed the button and he started talking and moving and it just about scared Ellie to death. It was so funny, but I couldn't laugh because she was terrified. She's still a little leery of going in there and asks me over and over if he's real or not. She did get up the courage to push the button herself this time though. Too funny.

Then on Saturday we went to our friend Tye's birthday party and Ellie had her face painted by "Minnie Mouse" the clown. It was beautiful, so I had to include a picture of it. You can't really tell in the picture, but it had sparkles on it and see the jewel on her forehead? Awesome. I didn't bring my camera to the party so this was taken afterwards at home. What a little ham!


It was a good weekend, but as I'm sure you've picked up on from my earlier blog entries, I am soooo ready for school to start again. I'm excited and a little anxious as always happens when new things are beginning. I just want us to get in our routine. That way we all know what to expect and things are easier for all of us.

Friday, I start up at the preschool. I'm super excited and a little nervous about this too. I just want to get up there and get started. The anticipation and wondering how everything is going to go has been killing me! Again, I know once the ball is rolling it will be much less nerve wracking than it is now. By the way, after much debate, my classroom theme is "Bugs". I'll take some pictures as soon as I get things set up. I'm sure you're all dying of anticipation. (That was supposed to be sarcastic).

Today we went to "Meet the Teacher" for Logan. His teacher seems really nice. I think she's new. I kind of like that because at least you know they're not burnt out or in a rut yet! She sent home a form for us to fill out with info about us and Logan. There was a blank for occupation for Stuart and I. I wrote down "Preschool Teacher". It's the first time in 7 years I've had something to write other than "homemaker, mom or NA". It felt good and a little strange at the same time. It felt like a new beginning. Of what exactly, I'm not quite sure. But it's definitely something different. And as scary as change can be sometimes, I know I'm ready.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so excited for you at starting your new job! You are going to be such a great preschool teacher. I love this post and I'm glad ya'll had a fun last hurrah!

Nicole said...

Good luck, Mindy! You'll do great at this new job. We did the Bug Safari VBS a couple of years ago and I found some really cute inflatable bugs on the internet...
http://www.gardeningwithkids.org/15-7110.html

erica said...

Go Mindy, Go!

Sarah said...

Do you find it better to go 35 or 281 to get to the zoo? I'm thinking about going this Friday and am not sure... Can you bring your own food in?