Thursday, March 25, 2010

Book-a-holic


Hello, my name is Mindy and I have a problem.

I have a book addiction. When I find a good one at least. I am a glutenous reader. That's the only way to think of it. I read as much as possible. Anywhere and everywhere to the point of sometimes ignoring my kids. I don't want to be that mom. My mom was like that sometimes. I hated it. The other day Ellie even got mad at me for reading too much. If Stuart even sees me with a new book he starts complaining (a little too much, I think).

Here's an example of my issue. I borrowed a copy of The Pillars of the Earth from Susan last week when I was there. I started reading it on Thursday and finished it last night. It's 973 pages! When a book is good and I'm enjoying it, I just can't stop myself.
Before that I read The Other Boleyn Girl also in about a week. Excellent book (I know a lot of you read it already). I read the whole Twilight series in about 10 days. I'm telling you, it's a problem! I'm almost afraid to start another one.

I must learn some restraint and to pace myself. I went for many years without reading much at all besides magazines. I love to read though and want to portray a good example for the kids that reading is enjoyable and a good past time.

Another problem is that it's expensive. I was buying my books, but going through them so quickly adds up. I've started checking them out of the library, but the problem there is that they don't have the most popular books without getting on a wait list. What a drag!

Anyway, I know there could be worse problems than this, believe me, but it is causing a few snags in my life!

I just checked out The Other Queen, also by Philippa Gregory. Although I'm having a hard time telling in what order her books go or if it even matters that you read them in order?


It's only 438 pages. I'm going to try and make it last 2 weeks. Baby steps...

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I think its great that you read so much! If you want an easy read that won't take time away from your family, check out The Dive from Clausen's Pier. Ann Packer. It's a good one for when kids have gone to bed and you've got a nice glass of wine.

Shannan Riemer said...

The Queen's fool was awesome! you would love it if you Liked the Other Boelyn girl..I just listened(my first audio book) to the help and it is by far one of my top 10 books..

another suggestion is the girl with the dragon tattoo(its a series).
good luck~

Jennifer said...

I am the same way when I read Mindy. ;)