Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy 8th Birthday Logan!!

It was a Monday, 8 years ago today that I was at work and still 4 long weeks away from my due date. Stuart and I decided to go eat dinner. Of all places, we went to Taco Bell. It's not one of my favorite places, but when you're pregnant, you get REALLY hungry. Stuart was at the counter ordering and I went to sit down at the table. When what do you know? I felt a small, warm gush. I thought to myself, "Oh no, I just wet myself!" I had read that that happened sometimes later in pregnancy. I went to the bathroom and looked and discovered that it didn't seem to be pee in my underwear. But they weren't that wet? I didn't feel anything else coming out then. Could it be... Was it... No, it couldn't have been... my water breaking? I went back to the table and told Stuart what had happened.



(about 3 months)

Keep in mind that this was my first baby. No one I knew had had any babies. We were in uncharted waters. So we weren't sure what to do. I called my mom (who was in Michigan at the time) who told me to go to the hospital immediately. I of course thought she was over-reacting as usual. I was worried that we'd go to the hospital and they'd say, No you just wet yourself. How embarrassing! We went ahead and ate, then drove home to pack my bag. Yes, it wasn't packed yet, being that I was only 36 weeks 1 day pregnant. I discovered by this time that a little more fluid seemed to be coming out, so I was pretty sure it was my water that had broken.


(about 6 months)

I had just found out the Wednesday before that Logan was breech and I would need a C-section, but at least I had a few days to digest this fact. We got to the hospital around 8 pm and had our baby boy by c-section at 10:42 pm. As you can ask all the people who were there that night, (Erica, Ray, Becky, my Dad) I was pretty much in shock the entire night and probably for the next few days. I just couldn't grasp how this could be happening. I wasn't ready yet. I was supposed to have weeks left!! The car seat wasn't installed, nothing was ready! But there he was. Pink and perfect!


( about12 months)


None of it mattered in the end of course. We all as new pregnant moms worry so about the state of the nursery and all that goes along with it, only to find out that you never actually use a baby quilt for anything but putting on the floor or the wall. And most of the things we stress over are so not important. Actually Logan never really slept in his room at all. He did take a few naps in his crib, but we moved out of that house when he was about 22 months, and he was still sleeping with us at that time. I know that my last statement is fodder for another blog, so I digress.



(about 3 1/2)


Of course we managed to get through those first difficult few weeks, and months. Now I look back on that time when it was just me and him home alone together all day with such fondness. He was a good, happy baby. I loved being his mommy more than anything in the world and of course I still do.


(taken last week)

To Logan,

My energetic, happy, talented, funny, handsome boy:

I'm so happy that God decided to entrust your beautiful soul to me to love and guide through this crazy world. You are an amazing child and I only hope that I am doing everything I can to help you become a happy and successful man. I can't believe that you're 8 years old today! I love you and am so proud you!

Love,
Mom

(also taken last week right after the one above. Presenting the Faux-hawk.)

3 comments:

erica said...

Happy Birthday Logan!!!! Love the faux-hawk.

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Logan! :)

scoop said...

ah how time passes so quickly! I love your water breaking story. So glad I have you and E. to tell me all the important mommy stuff. :) This was a great post.